Stay up to date with the latest wedding ceremony trends, script writing inspiration, tips and advice for first-time officiants, and news that matters to couples and wedding ministers.

Getting Ordained and Performing Marriage in Different States: How does it work?

Published Friday, Jul. 17th, 2020

Your American Marriage Ministries minister ordination is recognized in all states



For all the inquiring AMM Ministers on the go, we have excellent news: 


Your ordination is recognized in the entire United States regardless of where you live!


That’s right. You can officiate a wedding anywhere in the United States as long as you are in compliance with local minister regulations. 



Minister Registration Requirements: Weddings By State



Think of it kind of like driving… once you have permission to drive (ie, your drivers license), you are good to go ahead and drive anywhere else in the United States. You can cross those state lines and still legally drive – as long as you're abiding by each state’s different speed limits and local rules, of course.


It’s the same with your ordination. Once you’re ordained with AMM, you have the authority to officiate marriage anywhere in the country. But first, you have to make sure you're following any local minister registration regulations in the state where you’ll be performing marriage.


Some states will require wedding officiants to register with a local government office before performing marriage, so you’ll want to start researching your minister registration requirements sooner rather than later, so that there are no hiccups or delays!


So once you’ve performed your sister's ceremony in Hawaii (where you do have to register first, fyi!), there’s nothing stopping you from marrying your best college pals once you’re back home sweet home in, say, Nebraska.


And if you're an AMM Minister with your sights set on becoming a professional traveling wedding officiant or mobile officiant - there's no reason you can't officiate from coast to coast!




Find out more details & get started on our FAQs page: 






You might also like: 




Lewis King
Lewis King

Staff Writer

Lewis loves exploring the space between power, discourse, and material reality where institutions like marriage are defined. He also wears other hats at AMM, like taking out the recycling and restocking the sparkling water.

How To Officiate By State

Will You Marry Us? Gift Package

Who Will Officiate Your Wedding?

Choose Your Officiant with our "Will You Marry Us?" Gift Package.

Signature Wedding Officiant Package

Signature Wedding Officiant Package

Our premiere package contains everyting you need to officiate like a pro.

The Book of Wedding Vows and Ceremonies

The Book of Wedding Vows and Ceremonies

It's finally here! Timeless scripts and heartfelt vow inspiration to bring life to your ceremony.

Professional Wedding Officiant Certification Course

Learn from the Pros to Officiate with Confidence!

Wedding Officiant Training

Wedding Officiant Training

Everything you need to know to officiate.

Read our sample wedding ceremony scripts online

Sample Wedding Ceremony Scripts

Need inspiration? Check out our free ceremony scripts!

Subscribe To Our Newsletter!


Become a Wedding Officiant with Our Free Online Ordination!