Vermont Marriage Laws

5150 - Correction of marriage certificate

Related Pages


Vermont Statutes ? Title 18: Health ? Part 6: Births, Marriages and Deaths ? Chapter 105: Marriage Records and Licenses

Correction of marriage certificate

(a) Within six months after a marriage is solemnized, the town clerk may correct or complete a civil marriage certificate upon application by a party to the marriage or by the person who solemnized the marriage. The town clerk may correct or complete the certificate accordingly and shall certify thereon that such correction or completion was made pursuant to this section, with the date thereof. In his or her discretion, the town clerk may refuse an application for correction or completion, in which case, the applicant may petition the probate division of the superior court for such correction or completion. (b) After six months from the date a marriage is solemnized, a civil marriage certificate may only be corrected or amended pursuant to decree of the probate division of the superior court in which district the original certificate is filed. (c) The probate division of the superior court to which such application is made shall set a time for hearing thereon and, if such court deems necessary, cause notice of the time and place thereof to be given by posting the same in the probate division of the superior court office and, after hearing, shall make such findings, with respect to the correction of such civil marriage certificate as are supported by the evidence. The court shall thereupon issue a decree setting forth the facts as found, and transmit a certified copy of such decree to the supervisor of vital records registration. The supervisor of vital records registration shall transmit the same to the appropriate town clerk to amend the original or issue a new certificate. The words "Court Amended" shall be typed, written or stamped at the top of the new or amended certificate with the date of the decree and the name of the issuing court.

◀︎ Back to Vermont Marriage Laws ︎︎︎︎︎◀︎ Back to Marriage Laws Home

HISTORY: Added 1979, No. 142 (Adj. Sess.), § 24; amended 2009, No. 3, § 12a, eff. Sept. 1, 2009; 2009, No. 154 (Adj. Sess.), § 238a, eff. Feb. 1, 2011.

Law Reference:

Law Tag:

Will You
Marry Us?

The wedding gift package revolutionizing how you choose your officiant!

Learn More

Wedding Officiant Package

Everything you need to Officiate Weddings like pro!

Learn More

Minister Ordination

Our most popular package contains everything you need to officiate your first wedding.

Order Now


AMM supports Ocean Conservancy. Check them out!

Donate Now