Vermont Marriage Laws

5142 - Restrictions as to minors and incompetent persons

Related Pages


Vermont Statutes ? Title 18: Health ? Part 6: Births, Marriages and Deaths ? Chapter 105: Marriage Records and Licenses

Restrictions as to minors and incompetent persons

A clerk shall not issue a civil marriage license when either party to the intended marriage is: (1) A person who has not attained majority without the consent in writing of one of the parents if there is one competent to act; or the guardian of such minor; (2) Nor with such consent when either party is under 16 years of age; (3) Nor when either of the parties to the intended marriage is non compos mentis; (4) Nor to a person under guardianship without the written consent of such guardian. (5) [Deleted.]

◀︎ Back to Vermont Marriage Laws ︎︎︎︎︎◀︎ Back to Marriage Laws Home

HISTORY: Amended 1965, No. 194, § 10, eff. Feb. 1, 1967; 1967, No. 147, § 47, eff. Oct. 1, 1968; 1971, No. 90, § 13; 1973, No. 201 (Adj. Sess.), § 11; 2009, No. 3, § 8, eff. Sept. 1, 2009.

Law Reference:

Law Tag:

Will You
Marry Us?

The wedding gift package revolutionizing how you choose your officiant!

Learn More

Wedding Officiant Package

Everything you need to Officiate Weddings like pro!

Learn More

Minister Ordination

Our most popular package contains everything you need to officiate your first wedding.

Order Now


AMM supports Ocean Conservancy. Check them out!

Donate Now