New Hampshire Statutes 5-C:52

Delayed Certificate of Marriage.

5-C:52 Delayed Certificate of Marriage. ::: I. The registration of a marriage after 6 months from the actual date of the marriage shall be accomplished using a regular certificate of marriage, completed in accordance with RSA 5-C:42. II. Registration of marriage pursuant to paragraph I requires that an application for a delayed certificate of marriage be initiated by the bride, groom, or their legal representative with the clerk of the town or city where the marriage license was allegedly issued. To be acceptable for registration by the state registrar, the delayed certificate of marriage shall be supported by a copy of the marriage worksheet application, if available, obtained from the clerk of the town or city where the intentions were filed and at least 2 of the following: (a) An affidavit from the officiant, if obtainable, stating that he or she had officiated at the wedding in question. (b) A copy of the marriage certificate signed by the officiant and given to the married couple after the alleged ceremony. (c) One or more copies of newspaper accounts of the wedding in question. (d) A copy of a city or town report showing that the marriage in question was listed therein. (e) A certified copy of a divorce decree dissolving the marriage in question. (f) Pictures of the wedding ceremony accompanied by a notarized affidavit by, but not limited to, the best man, maid of honor, mother or father of the bride or groom, or bridesmaids, testifying to the persons shown in the pictures. (g) Notarized affidavits from other members of the wedding party including participants and witnesses. (h) A census bureau report on the applicant's household demonstrating marital status. III. When evidence as cited in paragraph II is presented to the clerk of the town or city, he or she shall initiate preparation of a new marriage certificate. The marriage certificate shall be a replica of the original when possible, showing all dates and related information, and signatures of the bride and groom shall be obtained by the clerk of the town or city on the new marriage record.

2005, 268:1. 2011, 187:4, eff. Aug. 13, 2011.

Back to New Hampshire Marriage Laws

More New Hampshire Marriage Laws

Marriage Laws by State

Professional Wedding Officiant Certification Course

Learn from the Pros to Officiate with Confidence!

Will You Marry Us? Gift Package

Who Will Officiate Your Wedding?

Choose Your Officiant with our "Will You Marry Us?" Gift Package.

Signature Wedding Officiant Package

Signature Wedding Officiant Package

Our premiere package contains everyting you need to officiate like a pro.

The Book of Wedding Vows and Ceremonies

The Book of Wedding Vows and Ceremonies

It's finally here! Timeless scripts and heartfelt vow inspiration to bring life to your ceremony.

Subscribe To Our Newsletter!

Checkout the AMM Blog

Stay up-to-date with the latest wedding industry trends.

Read our sample wedding ceremony scripts online

Sample Wedding Ceremony Scripts

Need inspiration? Check out our free ceremony scripts!

Wedding Officiant Training

Wedding Officiant Training

Everything you need to know to officiate.



Become a Wedding Officiant with Our Free Online Ordination!