Stay up to date with the latest wedding ceremony trends, script writing inspiration, tips and advice for first-time officiants, and news that matters to couples and wedding ministers.

New Hawaii Marriage Law lets Couples Declared Middle and Last Names

Published Monday, Apr. 22nd, 2019

Hawaii's Capitol Building in Honolulu

With more couples choosing new middle and last names, Hawaii has updated it’s marriage laws to give couples more freedom to choose. Effective April 17, 2019, Hawaii law is changed to allow parties to a marriage or civil union to choose any middle or last name to use upon the marriage or civil union.


The updated law, “Chapter 574-1 Married Persons; Civil Union Partners,” states that upon marriage or civil union, each of the parties to a marriage or partners in a civil union shall declare the middle and last names each will use as a married person or civil union partner.


The updated law states that “No person shall be required to change that person’s middle or last name upon entering into a marriage or civil union. Parties to a marriage and partners in a civil union shall not be required to have the same middle or last name. Every person may adopt any middle or last name upon entering into a marriage or civil union.”


Hawaii's Department of Health is responsible for overseeing marriage licenses and officiant registration.


For people considering officiating weddings, Hawaii has strict regulations regarding who can and can’t officiate. AMM provides detailed instructions for wedding officiants, and AMM ordinations are recognized by the state of Hawaii.

Officiants should also be aware that all prospective new marriage and civil union performers are required to register online, and the state keeps a record of approved wedding officiants.


According to Hawaii Law 572-13 Record of Solemnization, Marriages, Reported by Whom, every person authorized to solemnize marriage is required to make and preserve a record of every marriage that they have solemnized solemnized, comprising the names of the applicants, their place of residence, and the date of their marriage.


The state also requires officiants to report every marriage ceremony to the department of health in the district in which the marriage takes place within three business days. AMM provides ministers ordained through its website with tools to help them track and keep a record of weddings that they officiate.

How To Officiate By State

Will You Marry Us? Gift Package

Who Will Officiate Your Wedding?

Choose Your Officiant with our "Will You Marry Us?" Gift Package.

Signature Wedding Officiant Package

Signature Wedding Officiant Package

Our premiere package contains everyting you need to officiate like a pro.

The Book of Wedding Vows and Ceremonies

The Book of Wedding Vows and Ceremonies

It's finally here! Timeless scripts and heartfelt vow inspiration to bring life to your ceremony.

Professional Wedding Officiant Certification Course

Learn from the Pros to Officiate with Confidence!

Wedding Officiant Training

Wedding Officiant Training

Everything you need to know to officiate.

Read our sample wedding ceremony scripts online

Sample Wedding Ceremony Scripts

Need inspiration? Check out our free ceremony scripts!

Subscribe To Our Newsletter!


Become a Wedding Officiant with Our Free Online Ordination!