Harry Styles officiated a wedding in a hotel robe! Plus a look back at some of our favorite celebrity officiant outfits, to answer the eternal question: What does a wedding officiant wear?
1. Lisa Vanderpump’s wedding day attire is always stylish, tending toward the opulent end of things. The fabulous LGBTQ ally, businesswoman, animal advocate, and ordained AMM Minister has officiated many weddings -- with each wedding day look topping the next.
2. Adele married her best friends in 2018, with the happy quip: “I married two of my best friends in January. You know me any excuse to dress up…” And dress up she did, in a flowing, gorgeous cascade of cream and gold. She’s kept up the love, too, marrying Laura Dockrill and rocker Hugo White in 2020.
3. Tom Hanks famously married two friends in 2016, and he looked amazing (as usual) in a classic suit and tie while doing it. Still, we’re slightly more interested in this look, of Hanks in casual running gear, photobombing a wedding photo shoot in Central Park the same year. Sure, he’s not officiating here, but if anyone could pull off performing marriage in a sweatshirt, it’s him.
4. Iconic songstress Stevie Nicks rocked a loose-fitting black and cream ensemble in 2013 when she officiated Vanessa Carlton’s wedding. Will you look at that dreamy wreath she’s wearing? Talk about accessorizing to match the mood! Pure magic.
5. Michelle Obama, the stylish queen herself, helped a couple exchange vows in 2018 while wearing a long sleeved, elegant black dress. A gorgeous and well-chosen look: low-key glamour that managed to keep the attention on the bride. No small feat, considering who was behind the mic.
6. And, of course, Harry Styles. We love this look on you, Harry, because nothing says wedding like a ceremonial (hotel) robe! People have been officiating weddings in robes for years, but you’ve got to hand it to him - he really modernized this look!
(Photos of Harry in his wedding robe come from Page Six.)
Want to know more about dressing the part? Read What to Wear (and Not Wear) as a Wedding Officiant.