Wisconsin Marriage Laws

765.11 - Objections to marriage

Related Pages


Wisconsin Statutes ? The Family ? Chapter 765: Marriage

Objections to marriage

(1)?If any parent, grandparent, child, or natural guardian of a minor applicant for a marriage license, any brother, sister, or guardian of either of the applicants for a marriage license, either of the applicants, the district attorney, or a circuit court commissioner believes that the statements of the application are false or insufficient, or that an applicant is adjudicated incompetent without the right to marry, that person may file with the court having probate jurisdiction in the county in which the marriage license is applied for, a petition under oath, setting forth the grounds of objection to the marriage, and asking for an order requiring the parties making the application to show cause why the marriage license should not be refused. Whereupon, the court, if satisfied that the grounds of objection are prima facie valid, shall issue an order to show cause as aforesaid, returnable as the court directs, but not more than 14 days after the date of the order, which shall be served forthwith upon the applicants for the marriage license residing in the state, and upon the clerk before whom the application has been made, and shall operate as a stay upon the issuance of the marriage license until further ordered; if either or both of the applicants are nonresidents of the state the order shall be served immediately upon the nonresident by publication of a class 1 notice, under ch. 985, in the county in which the application is pending, and by mailing a copy thereof to the nonresident at the address contained in the application. (2)?If, upon hearing, the court finds that the statements in the application are willfully false or insufficient, or that either or both of said parties are not competent in law to marry, the court shall make an order refusing the marriage license, and shall immediately report such matter to the district attorney. If said falseness or insufficiency is due merely to inadvertence, then the court shall permit the parties to amend the application so as to make the statements therein true and sufficient, and upon application being so amended, the marriage license shall be issued. If any party is unable to supply any of the information required in the application, the court may, if satisfied that such inability is not due to willfulness or negligence, order the marriage license to be issued notwithstanding such insufficiency. The costs and disbursements of the proceedings under this section shall rest in the discretion of the court, but none shall be taxed against any district attorney or circuit court commissioner acting in good faith.

◀︎ Back to Wisconsin Marriage Laws ︎︎︎︎︎◀︎ Back to Marriage Laws Home

History: 1979 c. 32 s. 48; 1979 c. 176; Stats. 1979 s. 765.11; 1981 c. 20 ss. 1777v, 2200; 2001 a. 61; 2005 a. 387.

Law Reference:

Law Tag:

Will You
Marry Us?

The wedding gift package revolutionizing how you choose your officiant!

Learn More

Wedding Officiant Package

Everything you need to Officiate Weddings like pro!

Learn More

Minister Ordination

Our most popular package contains everything you need to officiate your first wedding.

Order Now


AMM supports Ocean Conservancy. Check them out!

Donate Now