Wisconsin Marriage Laws

765.05 - Marriage license; by whom issued

Related Pages


Wisconsin Statutes ? The Family ? Chapter 765: Marriage

Marriage license; by whom issued

No person may be joined in marriage within this state until a marriage license has been obtained for that purpose from the county clerk of the county in which one of the parties has resided for at least 30 days immediately prior to making application therefor. If both parties are nonresidents of the state, the marriage license may be obtained from the county clerk of the county where the marriage ceremony is to be performed. If one of the persons is a nonresident of the county where the marriage license is to issue, the nonresident's part of the application may be completed and sworn to or affirmed before the person authorized to accept marriage license applications in the county and state in which the nonresident resides.

◀︎ Back to Wisconsin Marriage Laws ︎︎︎︎︎◀︎ Back to Marriage Laws Home

History: 1979 c. 32 ss. 48, 92 (2); 1979 c. 89, 176, 177, 355; Stats. 1979 s. 765.05; 1981 c. 20, 142, 314; 1999 a. 85. Residency requirements are discussed. 80 Atty. Gen. 236. Choice of Law: Will a Wisconsin Court Recognize a Vermont Civil Union? DeFranco. 85 MLR 251 (2001).

Law Reference:

Law Tag:

Will You
Marry Us?

The wedding gift package revolutionizing how you choose your officiant!

Learn More

Wedding Officiant Package

Everything you need to Officiate Weddings like pro!

Learn More

Minister Ordination

Our most popular package contains everything you need to officiate your first wedding.

Order Now


AMM supports Ocean Conservancy. Check them out!

Donate Now