Alabama Code 30-1-16

Correction of vital error in marriage records.

In all marriages where a vital records error has been made, the parties to the marriage may file amended affidavits, forms, and data with the judge of probate. The fee for filing amended affidavits, forms, and data shall be the same as for an original filing. The amended affidavits, forms, and data shall state that they are amended and shall reference the date in which the original affidavits, forms, and data were filed. The judge of probate shall record the amended affidavits, forms, and data if agreed to by the parties and shall forward a one page decree of correction to the Office of Vital Statistics. If the parties cannot agree on the one page decree of correction, either party may file an action in circuit court to correct the error.

(Acts 1943, No. 337, p. 318; Act 2019-340, §1.)

Back to Alabama Marriage Laws

More Alabama Marriage Laws

Marriage Laws by State

Professional Wedding Officiant Certification Course

Learn from the Pros to Officiate with Confidence!

Will You Marry Us? Gift Package

Who Will Officiate Your Wedding?

Choose Your Officiant with our "Will You Marry Us?" Gift Package.

Signature Wedding Officiant Package

Signature Wedding Officiant Package

Our premiere package contains everyting you need to officiate like a pro.

The Book of Wedding Vows and Ceremonies

The Book of Wedding Vows and Ceremonies

It's finally here! Timeless scripts and heartfelt vow inspiration to bring life to your ceremony.

Subscribe To Our Newsletter!

Checkout the AMM Blog

Stay up-to-date with the latest wedding industry trends.

Read our sample wedding ceremony scripts online

Sample Wedding Ceremony Scripts

Need inspiration? Check out our free ceremony scripts!

Wedding Officiant Training

Wedding Officiant Training

Everything you need to know to officiate.



Become a Wedding Officiant with Our Free Online Ordination!