5 Essential Facts to Know Before Officiating a Wedding in Maine
The facts below cover all the important aspects of what requirements you need to meet to be able to legally officiate a wedding ceremony in Maine.
Who Can Officiate Weddings in Maine?
This is the relevant exerpt from the Maine Revised Statutes § 655.
" 1. Persons authorized to solemnize marriages. The following may solemnize marriages in this State:
A. If a resident of this State:
(1) A justice or judge;
(2) A lawyer admitted to the Maine Bar; or
(4) A notary public under Title 4, chapter 19; and [2001, c. 574, §6 (AMD).] B. Whether a resident or nonresident of this State and whether or not a citizen of the United States:
(1) An ordained minister of the gospel;
(2) A cleric engaged in the service of the religious body to which the cleric belongs; or
(3) A person licensed to preach by an association of ministers, religious seminary or ecclesiastical body. "
Basically, this means that as long as you are ordained through any church, you can officiate weddings.
Are Online Ordinations Recognized in Maine?
Yes. All online ordained ministers, including those ordained through AMM are recognized in Maine.
Get Ordained Now
Is Government Registration Required to Officiate a Wedding in Maine?
The Maine Government does not license, register, or certify ministers or wedding officiants. Officiant registration is not required in Maine to officiate a wedding.
What Office Do I Register with Before Officiating a Wedding in Maine?
The Maine Government does not have any office that licenses, registers, or certifies wedding officiants.
What is the Minimum Legal Age to Officiate a Wedding in Maine?
All Wedding Officiants in Maine must be at least 18 years old.
Preparing to Officiate a Wedding in Maine
As there is no officiant registration required in Maine, once ordained your next step is to start preparing to officiate the wedding. If you have not officiated a wedding before, or it has been a while, check out our Maine Officiant Ceremony Preparation page.
PREPARE FOR THE MAINE WEDDING CEREMONY