Minister Licensing Requirements in the State of Hawaii

Minister Required to Register with State Hawaii Revised Statutes 572-12

Minimum Minister Age: 18 Years

Minister's Residency: Irrelevant

Same-Sex Marriage Recognized: Yes

Minister Registration Requirements
Required by the Department of Health Vital Records Office

  1. Application for License to Perform Marriages and/or Civil Union in Hawaii
Application Fee: $10

Minister Licensing Office
Minister are Required to Register with the:

Please select a county to view their specific contact information.

How to Perform Marriage

1. Become an Ordained Minister

American Marriage Ministries is a non-profit, interfaith and non-denominational church with the mission to ensure that all people have the right to perform marriage. We offer ordination to all people, regardless of religious background or spiritual philosophy, that agree with our three tenets:

  1. All people, regardless of race, gender, or sexual orientation, have the right to marry.
  2. It is the right of every couple to choose who will solemnize their marriage.
  3. All people have the right to solemnize marriage.

Applying to become an AMM Minister is not a declaration of exclusive faith; it is an act of fellowship, allowing our tenets to coexist with personal beliefs. We believe that people of all backgrounds can find community within the simple tenets of our faith.

About Our Ordination

The AMM ordination is free, requires no special course of study, and takes only a moment. Our goal is to help people on their path to performing marriage for friends and family.

The act of solemnizing marriage historically belonged to the people, and only recently has it become the domain of the state. A marriage is a momentus spiritual event, but the legal act of solemnizing marriage is nothing more than signing a piece of paper; a task that does not necessitate the time, expense, and academia of a traditional seminarial degree.

If you have been asked by people close to you to solemnize their marriage, we believe you have the right to.

2. Prepare for Performing Marriage

Preparing to officiate a wedding involves two major steps:

  1. Complying with any applicable government regulations.
  2. Preparing what you will say for the ceremony.

We will discuss both steps below, but to fully utilize our resources we recommend that you register the wedding that you will perform with the AMM Wedding Helper - a free tool for AMM Ministers.

a. Minister Licensing Requirements

All ministers in Hawaii are required to register with the Hawaii Department of Health. The application fee with the Department of Health is $10. You do not have to be a Hawaii resident to perform marriage though you do need to be at least 18 years of age. Same-sex marriages are recognized in Hawaii.

Application Instructions

As Hawaii is a wedding destination, the Hawaii Department of Health understands that registration in person is not always possible. In case you are not able to apply in person, the Department of Health prefers that you register between 2 months to 2 weeks before the wedding day to allow them plenty of time to make accommodations for your registration process.

To register with the Hawaii Department of Health you simply need to complete their online application:

  1. Application for License to Perform Marriages and/or Civil Union in Hawaii

Once the application is submitted and approved you will be able to perform marriage in Hawaii. If you need to make special arrangements, you can contact the Department of Health at:

1250 Punchbowl St. Room 101
Honolulu, Hawaii 96813
Phone: (808) 586-4540
Hours: M-F 8:00am-4:00pm

Though not required we recommend that you order your Hawaii Minister Licensing Package. The minister licensing package includes your Letter of Good Standing, Ordination Certificate, and instructions on how to conduct a wedding.

Standard shipping for all orders is 3-10 business days, depending on where in the country your package is being shipped. We also offer expedited shipping methods in case you are on a tighter timeline.

b. Preparing the Ceremony

Many AMM Ministers get ordained to perform their first marriage and are often unsure of the process. Aside from legal concerns, the biggest fear most people have is public speaking. Plan ahead, practice, and you will do a great job!

A typical wedding ceremony is only 10 - 20 minutes and follows a time tested format. When you speak, remember that you were personally chosen by the couple, and that the most important two people already have faith in your ability. Weddings are a celebration with friends and family – the best audience anyone could ask for.

If you have never conducted a wedding or are simply want to refresh your knowledge, visit the Wedding Training section.

Our resources are here to walk you through a wedding ceremony, discussing structure, providing samples, and more.

Every wedding is unique, and the couple will want to personalize the format of their ceremony. Since you already know them, you should have no trouble collaborating and choosing your words for the ceremony.

Once the script is set, we highly recommend that you rehearse the ceremony by yourself and in front of friends. With enough practice, you will be fully prepared to confidently officiate your first wedding.

3. Officiate the Wedding

By this point you should be fully prepared to officiate. Perform the ceremony and have fun!

Handling the Marriage License

After the ceremony it is time for official recordkeeping. The couple will present their marriage license for you and the witnesses. The minister's job is to look over the license, confirm that the information is accurate, and complete the officiant's section.

In the eyes of the state, solemnizing marriage is the act of administering a contract (the marriage license) between two people.

Marriage licenses vary dramatically in appearance, but all ask for a similar set of information. Our How to Complete a Marriage License page explains all of the details that may be required on a marriage license.

Once completed, you or the couple must return the license to its office of issuance (usually by mail). In Hawaii, completed marriage licenses must be returned within 30 days of its issuance. The license is then recorded by the state and the marriage becomes a legal binding contract.

About the Marriage License (FOR THE COUPLE)

* This information is not for the minister but for the couple, and is included for reference.

Couples getting married in Hawaii must file for a marriage license with the Department of Health's office before their wedding day. The state will not recognize a marriage without a marriage license.

Hawaii Marriage License Info:

Issuing Office: Department of Health

Statewide License Cost: $60

Waiting Period: None

Expiration: 30 Days

Return: Before Expiration

Waiting Period: The minimum amount of time the couple must wait to get married from the date that they are granted their marriage license.

Expiration: The amount of time that the marriage license is valid from its issuance date.

Return: The amount of time that the completed marriage license must be returned after the wedding.

That’s all there is to it!

As of February 19th, 2018, American Marriage Ministries has ordained 885 AMM Ministers in the State of Hawaii, who have registered 528 weddings. What's This?


Hawaii Revised Statutes

Solemnization Of Marriage

572-12 By whom solemnized

A license to solemnize marriages may be issued to, and the marriage rite may be performed and solemnized by any minister, priest, or officer of any religious denomination or society who has been ordained or is authorized to solemnize marriages according to the usages of such denomination or society, or any religious society not having clergy but providing solemnization in accordance with the rules and customs of that society, or any justice or judge or magistrate, active or retired, of a state or federal court in the State, upon presentation to such person or society of a license to marry, as prescribed by this chapter. Such person or society may receive the price stipulated by the parties or the gratification tendered.

Division 1: Government - Title 31: Family - Chapter 572: Marriage - Part 1: Requisites, Procedures

[CC 1859, §1285; RL 1925, §2950; am L 1929, c 104, §6; RL 1935, §4640; RL 1945, §12361; RL 1955, §323-12; HRS §572-12; am L 1969, c 19, §2; am L 1974, c 15, §1]

Minister Licensing

572-11 Marriage ceremony; license to solemnize

It shall not be lawful for any person to perform the marriage ceremony within the State without first obtaining from the department of health a license to solemnize marriages.

Division 1: Government - Title 31: Family - Chapter 572: Marriage - Part 1: Requisites, Procedures

[CC 1859, §1283; RL 1925, §2949; am L 1929, c 104, §5; RL 1935, §4639; RL 1945, §12360; RL 1955, §323-11; am L Sp 1959 2d, c 1, §19; HRS §572-11; am L 1969, c 19, §1]

Minister Licensing

572-13 Record of solemnization; marriages, reported by whom; certified copies

(a) Recordkeeping. Every person authorized to solemnize marriage shall make and preserve a record of every marriage by the person solemnized, comprising the names of the man and woman married, their place of residence, and the date of their marriage.

Every person authorized to solemnize marriage, who neglects to keep a record of any marriage by the person solemnized shall be fined $50.

(b) Marriages, reported by whom. It shall be the duty of every person, legally authorized to perform the marriage ceremony, to report within three business days every marriage ceremony, performed by the person, to the agent of the department of health in the district in which the marriage takes place setting forth all facts required to be stated in a standard certificate of marriage, the form and contents of which shall be prescribed by the department of health.

(c) Certified copies of certificate of marriage. The department of health shall deliver one certified copy of the certificate of marriage or the contents or any part thereof as provided in section 338-13 to the persons married. The certificate shall be prima facie evidence of the fact of marriage in any proceeding in any court.

The department of health shall upon request, furnish to any applicant additional certified copies of the certificate of marriage or any part thereof.

Copies of the contents of any certificate on file in the department, certified by the department shall be considered for all purposes the same as the original.

The department may prescribe reasonable fees, if any, to be paid for certified copies of certificates.

Division 1: Government - Title 31: Family - Chapter 572: Marriage - Part 1: Requisites, Procedures

[L 1864, p 21; am L 1903, c 8, §2; am L 1911, c 23, §1; RL 1925, §2951; RL 1935, §4641; RL 1945, §12362; RL 1955, §323-13; HRS §572-13; am L 1974, c 31, §2; am L 1978, c 49, §2; am L 1981, c 202, §2; gen ch 1985]

Minister Licensing

572-13.5 Revocation or suspension of licenses to solemnize

Any license to solemnize marriages issued pursuant to section 572-12 may be revoked or suspended by the department of health, if the holder of the license has failed to comply with the applicable provisions of this chapter or of the rules of the department of health.

Division 1: Government - Title 31: Family - Chapter 572: Marriage - Part 1: Requisites, Procedures

[L 1981, c 202, §3]

Minister Licensing Requirements in: