Alaska Marriage Laws

AK Stat § 25.05.261 - Who may solemnize

Related Pages


Alaska Code - Title 25: Marital and Domestic Relations - Chapter 5: Alaska Marriage Code - Article 5: Solemnization

Who may solemnize

(a) Marriages may be solemnized (1) by a minister, priest, or rabbi of any church or congregation in the state, or by a commissioned officer of the Salvation Army, or by the principal officer or elder of recognized churches or congregations that traditionally do not have regular ministers, priests, or rabbis, anywhere within the state; (2) by a marriage commissioner or judicial officer of the state anywhere within the jurisdiction of the commissioner or officer; (3) before or in any religious organization or congregation according to the established ritual or form commonly practiced in the organization or congregation; or (4) by an individual holding an elective public office in the state. (b) This section may not be construed to waive the requirements for obtaining a marriage license. (c) Nothing in this section creates or implies a duty or obligation on a person authorized to solemnize a marriage under (a)(1), (3), or (4) of this section to solemnize any marriage.

◀︎ Back to Alaska Marriage Laws ︎︎︎︎︎◀︎ Back to Marriage Laws Home

(§ 1 ch 58 SLA 1963; am §§ 1, 2 ch 20 SLA 2018)

Law Reference:
AK Stat § 25.05.261

solemnization of marriage

Law Tag:
solemnization of marriage

Will You
Marry Us?

The wedding gift package revolutionizing how you choose your officiant!

Learn More

Wedding Officiant Package

Everything you need to Officiate Weddings like pro!

Learn More

Minister Ordination

Our most popular package contains everything you need to officiate your first wedding.

Order Now


AMM supports Ocean Conservancy. Check them out!

Donate Now