Minister Licensing Requirements in the State of Michigan

A guide to performing marriage.

You have been asked to perform a wedding and you want to learn more about the process. Continue reading to learn the steps that you must take to perform marriage in the State of Michigan as an AMM minister.

Michigan Flag

Minister Licensing Summary

No Minister Registration Required Michigan Compiled Laws 551.7

Minimum Minister Age: 18 Years

Minister's Residency: Irrelevant

Same-Sex Marriage Recognized: No

How to Perform Marriage

1. Become an Ordained Minister

American Marriage Ministries is a non-profit, interfaith and non-denominational church, with the mission to ensure that all people have the right to perform marriage. We offer ordination to all people, regardless of religious background or spiritual philosophy, that agree with our three tenets:

  1. All people, regardless of race, gender, or sexual orientation, have the right to marry.
  2. It is the right of every couple to choose who will solemnize their marriage.
  3. All people have the right to solemnize marriage.

Applying to become an AMM Minister is not a declaration of exclusive faith, it is an act of allowing our tenets to coexist with personal beliefs. We encourage people of all backgrounds to find community within the simple tenets of our faith.

About Our Ordination

The AMM Ordination is free, requires no special course of study, and takes only a moment. Our goal is to help people on their path to performing marriage for friends and family.

A wedding is a momentus spiritual event, but the legal act of solemnizing marriage involves nothing more than signing a piece of paper. We believe that completion of this legal act does not necessitate the time, expense, and academia of a traditional seminarial degree. The act of solemnizing marriage historically belonged exclusively to the people; it is only recently that marriage has become the domain of the state.

Our ordination is informed by these facts - we exist to protect the right of all people to solemnize marriage. If you have been asked by people close to you to solemnize their marriage, we believe you have the right to.

2. Prepare for Performing Marriage

Preparing to officiate a wedding involves two major steps:

  1. Complying with any applicable government regulations.
  2. Preparing what you will say for the ceremony.

We will discuss both steps in more detail below, but to fully utilize our resources we recommend you register the wedding using the AMM Wedding Helper - a free tool AMM Ministers can use to prepare for performing marriage.

a. Minister Licensing Requirements

In Michigan no laws exist requiring ministers to register with any government office in order to perform marriage though all wedding officiants must be at least 18 years of age. Same-sex marriages are not recognized in Michigan.

The only step you need to take to have the legal authority to perform marriage is to become an AMM minister. Our ordination is free and does not expire. You do not need prior ministerial experience and we welcome people of all beliefs and backgrounds.

If you would like to confirm for yourself that you do not need to register with the Michigan State Government, you can contact the in the locality where the marriage is taking place:


Please select a county to view their specific contact information.

Please be aware that government workers are prohibited from giving anything that may be construed as legal advice. As such they may provide indirect answers if asked pointed questions. Regarding the legality of performing marriage, the most important question to ask is "I am an AMM minister. Will you dutifully record the completed marriage license if I officiate the wedding and the marriage license has been properly completed and returned within the timeframe specified by the State?".

Though not required, we encourage you to order your Michigan Minister Licensing Package. The minister licensing package includes your Ordination Certificate and Letter of Good Standing and is good to keep for your own records.

Standard shipping for all orders is 3-10 business days, depending on where in the country your package is being shipped. We also offer expedited shipping methods in case you are on a tighter timeline.

b. Preparing the Ceremony

Many AMM Ministers get ordained to perform their first marriage and are often unsure of the process. Aside from legal concerns, the biggest fear most people have is public speaking. Hakuna Matata! Plan ahead, practice, and you will do a great job.

A typical wedding ceremony is only 10-20 minutes long, and follows a time tested format. Remember that you have been personally chosen by the couple, so when you go to speak the most important two people already have faith in your ability. Weddings are a celebration with friends and family – the best audience anyone could ask for.

If you have never conducted a wedding or are simply looking to refresh your knowledge, visit the Wedding Training section of our site.

Our Wedding Training resources will walk you through a wedding ceremony discussing the structure, providing a sample, and more.

Every wedding is unique, and the couple will want to personalize the format of their ceremony. Since you already know them, you should have no trouble collaborating and choosing your words for the ceremony.

Once the script is set, we highly recommend that you rehearse the ceremony by yourself and in front of friends. Setting aside the time to practice is invaluable. With enough practice, you will be fully prepared to confidently officiate your first wedding.

3. Officiate the Wedding

By this point you should be fully prepared to officiate the wedding. This part is all up to you. Have fun!

Handling the Marriage License

This is the legal component, filling out a form and signing your name. In the eyes of the state, solemnizing marriage is simply acting as a third party administering a contract (the marriage license) between two people.

On the wedding day, either before or after the ceremony, the couple will present you with their marriage license. Your job is to look over the information, confirm that it is accurate, and complete your portion of the license.

Marriage Licenses can vary dramatically in appearance, but they all ask for a similar set of information. Once the license is in front of you it should be clear. Our Handling the Marriage License page explains all of the forms that may appear on a marriage license.

Once completed, you or the couple return the license to its issuing office (usually by mail). In Michigan the completed marriage license must be returned within 33 days of its issuance. The Marriage License is then recorded and forwarded to a state office, that state office records it, and the marriage becomes a legal binding contract.

About the Marriage License (FOR THE COUPLE)

* The information in this box is not for the minister, but for the couple. Regardless we have included this information here for reference.

The marriage license is the legal document of marriage filed for by the couple from the County Clerk before the wedding day. The marriage license is the document absolutely required for the marriage to be legal in the eyes of the State.

Michigan Marriage License Info:

Issuing Office: County Clerk

Cost: $20 or $30

Waiting Period: 3 days to receive

Expiration: 33 Days

Return: Before Expiration

Waiting Period: The minimum amount of time the couple must wait to get married from the date that they are granted their marriage license.

Expiration: The amount of time that the marriage license is valid from its issuance date.

Return: The amount of time that the completed marriage license must be returned after the wedding.

That’s all there is to it!

As of April 1st, 2015, American Marriage Ministries has ordained 6,923 AMM Ministers in the State of Michigan, who have registered 1,182 weddings. What's This?


Michigan Compiled Laws

Solemnization Of Marriage

551.7 Persons authorized to solemnize marriage; records; returns; disposition of fees charged by mayor or county clerk

(1) Marriages may be solemnized by any of the following:

(a) A judge of the district court, in the district in which the judge is serving.

(b) A district court magistrate, in the district in which the magistrate serves.

(c) A municipal judge, in the city in which the judge is serving or in a township over which a municipal court has jurisdiction under section 9928 of the revised judicature act of 1961, 1961 PA 236, MCL 600.9928.

(d) A judge of probate, in the county or probate court district in which the judge is serving.

(e) A judge of a federal court.

(f) A mayor of a city, anywhere in a county in which that city is located.

(g) A county clerk in the county in which the clerk serves, or in another county with the written authorization of the clerk of the other county.

(h) For a county having more than 2,000,000 inhabitants, an employee of the county clerk's office designated by the county clerk, in the county in which the clerk serves.

(i) A minister of the gospel or cleric or religious practitioner, anywhere in the state, if the minister or cleric or religious practitioner is ordained or authorized to solemnize marriages according to the usages of the denomination.

(j) A minister of the gospel or cleric or religious practitioner, anywhere in the state, if the minister or cleric or religious practitioner is not a resident of this state but is authorized to solemnize marriages under the laws of the state in which the minister or cleric or religious practitioner resides.

(2) A person authorized by this act to solemnize a marriage shall keep proper records and make returns as required by section 4 of 1887 PA 128, MCL 551.104.

(3) If a mayor of a city solemnizes a marriage, the mayor shall charge and collect a fee to be determined by the council of that city, which shall be paid to the city treasurer and deposited in the general fund of the city at the end of the month.

(4) If the county clerk or, in a county having more than 2,000,000 inhabitants, an employee of the clerk's office designated by the county clerk solemnizes a marriage, the county clerk shall charge and collect a fee to be determined by the commissioners of the county in which the clerk serves. The fee shall be paid to the treasurer for the county in which the clerk serves and deposited in the general fund of that county at the end of the month.

Chapter 551: Marriage

History: R.S. 1846, Ch. 83 ;-- CL 1857, 3210 ;-- CL 1871, 4725 ;-- Am. 1873, Act 85, Eff. July 31, 1873 ;-- How. 6215 ;-- CL 1897, 8594 ;-- Am. 1903, Act 139, Eff. Sept. 17, 1903 ;-- Am. 1909, Act 235, Eff. Sept. 1, 1909 ;-- CL 1915, 11368 ;-- CL 1929, 12696 ;-- Am. 1931, Act 28, Imd. Eff. Apr. 21, 1931 ;-- Am. 1937, Act 42, Eff. Oct. 29, 1937 ;-- CL 1948, 551.7 ;-- Am. 1972, Act 211, Eff. July 1, 1972 ;-- Am. 1975, Act 175, Imd. Eff. July 20, 1975 ;-- Am. 1979, Act 24, Imd. Eff. June 6, 1979 ;-- Am. 1983, Act 64, Imd. Eff. May 26, 1983 ;-- Am. 2006, Act 419, Imd. Eff. Sept. 29, 2006 ;-- Am. 2006, Act 613, Imd. Eff. Jan. 3, 2007 ;-- Am. 2008, Act 47, Imd. Eff. Mar. 27, 2008

Minister Licensing Requirements in: