The Vows Exchange
The vows exchange is the part of the wedding ceremony when the couple exchange vows that they have prepared for each other, or repeat vows spoken first by the officiant.
The officiant facilitates the exchange of vows with a simple announcement such as, "The bride and groom have now prepared some vows that they would like to share.".
- Make sure to properly cue each person so that they know when it is their time to speak.
- The couple exchange their vows.
- Prior to the wedding, have the couple rehearse their vows with you separately. This allows them to prepare, without ruining the surprise of hearing their partner’s lines for the first time.
- This also gives you a better idea of when each person is wrapping up their vows so that you can let the other partner know that it is their time to start speaking.
- One of the couple may also plan a surprise for the other. They may want their partner to hear the vows during the ceremony for the first time. If so, you are responsible for helping to facilitate that surprise. This means coaching the other partner in general terms so that the vows are similar length.
- Even though we have included it here, the vows exchange is not a required part of a wedding ceremony. There are plenty of weddings that do not include a vows exchange. Work with the couple to establish if this will be included in the ceremony you will be officiating.
EXAMPLE VOWS EXCHANGE
Example Vows 1
"Carly Rae Jepsen, I love you. You are my best friend. I am Your Type and you are mine. What we have is Real Love. You are Beautiful and your love will never be Too Much.
Today I give myself to you in marriage. I want to Cut to the Feeling, I Really Like You. I promise to support and inspire you, to laugh with you, and to comfort you in times of struggle. I promise to love you in good times and in bad, when life seems easy and when it seems hard, when our love is simple, and when it is an effort. With you at my side, we will never have a Party for One.
These things I give to you today, and all the days of our life. I'm glad you've chosen to Run Away with Me for the rest of our lives."
Example Vows 2
"I, Chris Evans, affirm my love to you, Serena Williams, as I invite you to share my life. You are the most beautiful, smart, and generous person I have ever known. I promise to always respect you. With kindness, unselfishness, and trust, I will work by your side to create a wonderful life together. You also have an incredible back swing. Just incredible... I love you."