Maine Marriage Laws

§651 - Recording of intentions

Related Pages


Maine Revised Statutes - Title 19-A: Domestic Relations - Part 2: Married Persons - Chapter 23: Marriage - Subchapter 1: General Provisions

Recording of intentions

1. Place of recording. Residents of the State intending to be joined in marriage shall record notice of their intentions in the office of the clerk of the municipality in which at least one of them resides. If only one of the parties resides in the State, the parties shall record notice of their intentions in the office of the clerk of the municipality in which the resident party resides. If there is no clerk in the place of their residence, the notice must be filed with the clerk of an adjoining municipality. If both parties to a marriage reside outside the State, they must file intentions in any municipal office. Once the intentions are filed and the license is issued, the parties are free to marry anywhere within the State. [ 2001, c. 574, §2 (AMD) .] 2. Application. The parties wishing to record notice of their intentions of marriage shall submit an application for recording notice of their intentions of marriage. The application must include a signed certification that the information recorded on the application is correct and that the applicant is free to marry according to the laws of this State. The applicant's signature must be acknowledged before an official authorized to take oaths. Applications recording notice of intentions to marry must be open for public inspection in the office of the clerk. When the application is submitted, the applicant shall provide the clerk with the social security numbers of the parties. The application must include a statement that the social security numbers of the parties have been provided to the clerk. The clerk shall record the social security numbers provided by each applicant. The record of the social security numbers is confidential and is not open for public inspection. [ 1997, c. 537, §12 (AMD); 1997, c. 537, §62 (AFF) .] 3. Related parties. If the parties recording notice of their intentions to marry are related as described in section 701, subsection 2, the parties shall submit to the clerk, at the time of recording their intentions to marry, a certificate from a physician stating that the parties have received genetic counseling from the physician. The physician making the certification required by this subsection shall sign the certificate. [ 1995, c. 694, Pt. B, §2 (NEW); 1995, c. 694, Pt. E, §2 (AFF) .] 4. Prior marriages. Persons recording notice of intention to marry, either of whom has been previously married, shall submit with the application a certificate or certified copy of the divorce decree or annulment of the last marriage or the death record of the last spouse. If both have been previously married, both shall submit the certificates or certified copies. The clerk shall make a notation on the reverse side of the application under subsection 2 showing the title and location of the courts, the names of the parties to the proceeding for the divorces or annulments and the date when the decrees became absolute. In the case of a death of a former spouse, the clerk shall show the name of the deceased along with the date and place of death. [ 1995, c. 694, Pt. B, §2 (NEW); 1995, c. 694, Pt. E, §2 (AFF) .] 5. Recognition of foreign divorces. A record of divorce from another state or foreign country is evidence of divorce. If the record is not in English, the record must be translated into English by a disinterested 3rd person at the parties' expense. [ 1995, c. 694, Pt. B, §2 (NEW); 1995, c. 694, Pt. E, §2 (AFF) .] 6. Resident defined. For the purposes of this chapter, "resident" means a person whose habitation is fixed in a place within this State and to which that person, whenever temporarily absent, has the intention to return. A person is a resident of a municipality if the place of habitation is within that particular municipality. The clerk of a municipality shall consider a person who qualifies as a resident under Title 21-A, section 112 for voting purposes a resident for the purposes of this chapter. [ 1995, c. 694, Pt. B, §2 (NEW); 1995, c. 694, Pt. E, §2 (AFF) .]

◀︎ Back to Maine Marriage Laws ︎︎︎︎︎◀︎ Back to Marriage Laws Home

SECTION HISTORY 1995, c. 694, §B2 (NEW). 1995, c. 694, §E2 (AFF). 1997, c. 537, §12 (AMD). 1997, c. 537, §62 (AFF). 2001, c. 574, §2 (AMD).

Law Reference:

Law Tag:

Will You
Marry Us?

The wedding gift package revolutionizing how you choose your officiant!

Learn More

Wedding Officiant Package

Everything you need to Officiate Weddings like pro!

Learn More

Minister Ordination

Our most popular package contains everything you need to officiate your first wedding.

Order Now


AMM supports Ocean Conservancy. Check them out!

Donate Now